Winter or cold season carry in its wake increased temperature and humidity level; this invariably affect both our comfort and health. Our little tiny spaces may not hold the warmth and welcoming aura it usually does because of this period, but not too worry, space heaters were invented for that purpose.
What Is A Space Heater?
A space heater is a device for heating an enclosed area. It is generally used to warm a small space which is in contrast with central heating systems that warms many connected spaces at once. An advantage of this devices is that it is portable, easy to use and do not require much installation procedures. Space heaters mostly need electricity to run.
Types of Space Heaters
- Radiative heaters: This type of heaters produce infrared heat radiation that gets absorbed by the skin or clothing. Radiative heaters do not need to first warm up the atmosphere; instead their heat is felt instantaneous by the people in the enclosed space or even outdoor.
- Convective heaters: These heaters warms the atmosphere directly or through other component parts like the heat coil, fan or filler. They are best used in airy place and provide as a constant supply of diffused heat in small spaces.
Importance of Space Heaters
- With space heaters, you can position the heat to warm up a particular spot, unlike central heating system that heat up the whole house.
- Space heaters are also energy efficient; you are sure to cut down on electricity bills with these units.
- Most space heaters allow you to adjust heat level and the thermostat regulates room temperature.
- 2-in-1 functions. Some space heaters can be used as a fan only without the heat. This should serve a purpose during cold and hot seasons.
- They are portable and mobile and can be used in homes, offices, bathroom, kitchen etc.
Risks Associated With Space Heaters
- High risk of fire and electrical outage. This is because they can topple over easily, and then lead to fire when in contact with flammable home items like rug and woods.
- Some space heaters with 1500w and above energy consumption are prone to melt wires, burn fuse; trip circuit breaker etc. Care should be taken so they don’t destroy other devices in the home.
- Children and pets run a high risk of getting burnt by this unit if adequate precautions are not taken.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Space Heater
- Safety features: Features such as thermostat, automatic shut off, cold surface handle, heat level settings should be topmost in your mind when shopping for this unit because of the fire causing tendency of space heaters.
- Energy consumption: Space heater energy consumption ranges from 250w-1500w. You should go for a unit that will not create a dent in your pocket through high electricity bills.
- Aesthetics: Most space heaters are designed with aesthetic in mind. Choose those that blend easily with the décor of your home or office.
- Noise level: This is also important if you value peace and quietness. Space heater that have fans are more prone to noise making due to the whirling sound or friction, you might consider leaving out such models in your decision or better still go for brands with proven quiet operation.
- Portability: Space heaters are portable devices and are available in different sizes.
Since the task falls on you to decide which space heater best suit the atmosphere in your home, this article is meant to make that process easier. We have compiled a review of ten space heater brand available in the market so that you are better informed to make the right purchase decision.
Top 10 Best Space Heater Reviews
1. Lasko 754200 Ceramic Heater with Adjustable Thermostat
Energy: 1500-watt high setting and 900-watt low setting.
Controls: Manual controls; self-regulating ceramic element; Adjustable Thermostat.
Safety: Automatic overheat protection; convenient carrying handle.
Measurement: 6 X 7 x 9.2-Inch.
Noise level: Quiet operation, 3 Quiet Settings: High Heat, Low Heat and Fan only.
Other features: Fan-only option.
Amazon prize: $24.97.
Warranty: 3-Year Limited Warrant.
- The heater may emit a horrible, nauseating, metallic-seeming odor after long duration of use
- It draws too much current and then burns the power outlet that it is plugged into.
- Users complained of the thermostat malfunctioning making a space heat up to unhealthy level.
2. DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel Heater
Energy: 1500 watts of heating power.
Controls: Adjustable thermostat and two heat settings; high setting for 1500-watt or the low setting for 750-watt.
Safety: Safe Heat operation with thermal cut-off, internal tip-over switch and power/caution indicator lights.
Amazon price: $89.99
Measurement: 27.25″ x 9.75″ x 22.5″. Weight: 12.65lbs.
Noise level: Whisper quiet operation.
Design: Wall-mountable option with wall mounting kit included; easy to move or transport with the convenient carry handle and castors included.
Warranty: Purchased differently from product.
- The overheating alarm goes on 5-10 minutes when it is run on high setting.
- Users complained of short product duration, i.e. the unit easily get spoilt.
- Draws too much electrical energy.
3. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater, 1500-Watt
Energy: 12.5 Amps of Power. 1500 Watts
Controls: Dual Heating Systems featuring infrared quartz tube + PTC with 12hr automatic shut-off timer, IR Remote Control.
Safety: Tip-over and Overheat protection; Electronic Thermostat: range 50 to 86 degrees.
Price in amazon: $112.49.
Measurement: 13 x 11 x 16 inches; 23.5 pounds.
Noise level: Low Noise Blower with 39 dB super quiet.
Other Designs: Caster Wheels and lifetime filter.
Warranty: 3 years.
- The on/off switch becomes faulty easily. So does the remote.
- When running on high setting, it tends to trip the circuit breaker.
- Users complained that energy consumption is high.
- They also complained that the heater stops working within a couple of months.
4. Honeywell HCE322V Digital Whole Room Tower Heater
Energy consumption: Not specified.
Controls: 1, 2, 4 & 8 hour timer settings; 2 constant heat settings; Digital Easy-Touch Controls; LCD Display; Programmable Thermostat.
Safety: Tip-over switch & overheat protection.
Price in amazon: $49.99.
Measurement: 8.7 x 6.7 x 21.6 inches.
Noise level: Not specified.
Other features: Permanent dust filter with Cool Touch Housing & Handle; Oscillates for wide area heating.
Warranty: Purchased differently.
- The fan produces a little whirring noise when on high setting.
- Takes one to two months to be delivered by Amazon.
- May produce an unbearable burning smell.
5. Honeywell HCE100 Heat Bud Ceramic Portable-Mini Heater
Energy consumption: 250 Watts.
Controls: Easy to use manual controls; two heat settings – Low 170 Watts and High 250 Watts
Safety: Cool touch housing; Tip over switch; Overheat protection, Flame-resistant materials, caution-lights to alert you when a heater is turned on; Flame-resistant materials.
Amazon price: $18.09
Measurement: 5 x 4 x 7.8 inches.
Design: Personal, compact size fits in any space with efficient ceramic heating technology.
- Users complained of very low heat emission.
- They also complained that it stopped working after few months of use.
6. Holmes Portable Desktop Heater with Comfort Control Thermostat
Energy consumption: 1500 watt.
Controls: Easy-to-use manual controls.
Safety: Tip-over, overheat and Adjustable thermostat.
Price in amazon: $23.93.
Measurement: 7.5 x 4.5 x 11.3 inches.
Design: Portable and lightweight with integrated carry-handle. 2 heat settings that allow you to use it as a heater or a fan only.
Warranty: One year.
- The fan speed is constant, doesn’t reduce but blows at high frequency even when you adjust its speed.
- Users complained of heater shutting itself off intermittently.
- The heater easily gets spoilt and stops working within months.
7. Lasko 6435 Designer Series Oscillating Heater with Remote Control
Energy consumption: 1500 watts.
Controls: Multi-Function Remote Control, Electronic Touch-Control Operation.
Safety: Automatic Overheat Protection, adjustable thermostat, 7-hour timer with auto shut-off.
Price in amazon: From $63.
Measurement: 8.25″ x 8.25″ x 16.05″
Noise level: 2 Quiet Settings: Low/high.
Design: Oscillation for Full-Room Coverage.
Warranty: 3 years limited warranty.
- Tend to exude an uncomfortable strong chemical stench when in use.
- The wire, wall socket and plug burn easily.
8. Vornado VH202 Personal Space Heater
Energy consumption: 750W
Controls: Toggle switch to power unit on or Off, Mode Switch: High Heat, Fan Only and low heat.
Safety: Cool touch space, tip-over protection, Automatic safety shut off.
Price in amazon: $29.99.
Measurement: 7.2 x 7.9 x 7.1 inches.
Noise level: Quiet operation.
Warranty: 3 years warranty.
- The fan tends to make a screeching sound when working because it collides with the case as it spins.
- Problem of smoke and uncomfortable burning stench after some period of use.
9. Patton PUH680-N-U Milk-House Utility Heater
Energy consumption: 1000 & 1500 Watt depending on setting.
Controls: Easy to adjust manual controls, high and low heat settings.
Safety: Automatic thermostat; front guards and auto shut-off if tipped over, Carry handle for safe and easy portability
Price in Amazon: From $28.
Measurement: 10.3 x 7.7 x 14.7 inches
Noise level: Quiet, fan-forced convection coil heat.
Design : Milk-house utility heater with durable design and rugged steel housing
- Users complained of dysfunctional thermostat.
- Tends to produce uncomfortable noise during use.
- Users complained about unit producing a low level of heat.
10. Lasko 5307 Oscillating Ceramic Tower Heater
Energy consumption: 1500 watts
Controls: Adjustable comfort-control thermostat.
Safety: Push-button oscillation; Built-in safety features.
Price in amazon: From $52
Measurement: 7.25”L x 6.13″W x 16.5″H.
Noise level: 3 quiet settings: high heat, low heat, fan only.
Design: Push-button oscillation; versatile size for table or floor use; fully assembled.
Warranty: 3-Year Limited Warranty
- The unit easily melts. Plugs, wires and fuses are in danger of being destroyed even when the unit is off.
- There is no remote or auto shut off feature to shut it off if it tips over and that may be hazardous.
- It gives off a very strong chemical smell that does not go away after hours of use.
We hope this review helps out during purchase of a space heater for your home. Buying one that will not meet your need but leave you with regret is not a good experience.