Furnace filters are removable and replaceable filters that protect your furnace and purify the air around the home. They trap allergens that cause asthmatic attack and other sorts of allergy. With these filters, pollen, dust, smokes and other micro air-contaminants in the home are contained.
They are different types of filters providing different functionality; this review aims to serve as a guide when planning for a purchase.
Top 10 Best Furnace Filters Reviews
1. Filtrete Clean Living Basic Dust Filter, MPR 300, 16 x 25 x 1-Inches, 6-Pack
- It ‘s electrostatic charged fibers attract and capture large airborne allergens like Pollen and Household Dust
- Proven to lasts up to 3 months and has a 316 MPR Performance Rating
- It is ideal for high-velocity heating and cooling systems.
- Inconsistency in quality.
- Some filters in the pack often come damaged.
- Complaints about disruption of air flow.
- It isn’t consistent with the specified size.
2. Honeywell FC100A1037 Ultra Efficiency Air Cleaning Filter, 20X25-Inches
- Comes in different sizes to fit Honeywell and other competitive brand air cleaners.
- It offers varies and can be used with Honeywell 20X25, 25X20, 25X22 F100 and F200 Media Air Cleaners, and SpaceGard 2200.
- It is a replacement media air cleaner filter with MERV 11 which rids the air of the tiniest of micron.
- There are inconsistencies with measurements.
3. Nordic Pure 20x25x1 AC Furnace Air Filters MERV 12, Box of 6
- It has a MPVR of 12.
- The Filter can be used for both Residential and Commercial Purpose
- It is comparable to a MPR rating of 1500-1924.
- It is composed of Hypoallergenic and antimicrobial pleated electrostatic filter material for cleaner air.
- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging.
- It is more restrictive to airflow than comparable filtrete filters.
- The filter is undersized from the stated size and as such don’t fit tightly as they should.
4. FilterBuy AFB Silver 20x20x1 MERV 8 Pleated AC Furnace Air Filter – Pack of 4 – 20x20x1
- This is an advanced filter that offers increased filtration of dust mites and other allergens. It removes lint & dust, dust mite debris, pollen and mold spores
- It has MERV rating of 8.
- The filter can last 3 months.
- It is smaller than is actually stated and may prove difficult during installation.
- The undersized filter may also cause noise as they get sucked up and down when the air handler turns on and off.
5. E-Z Flow Air Filter, MERV 4, 16 x 25 x 1-Inch, 12-Pack
- Comes with MERV 4 rating that removes household dust, pollen, and lint.
- MERV 4 rating is not so restrictive which means that your furnace doesn’t need to overwork.
- Its continuous chipboard design guards against corner separation while the one-sided metal media retainer adds to the filter strength
- Each filter maintains efficiency for up to 30 days
- It is compatible with other HVAC systems requiring filters sized 16″ x 25″ x 1
- It’s falsely advertised blue when it’s actually white.
- The MERV 4 rating means it cannot be used in highly congested air space because it cannot sieve tiny microns.
- Filter fiber is spacious and allows dust and other allergens to pass through easily.
- The filter sizes are not a total fit.
6. X6673 Lennox 20x25x5 Merv 11 Filter Media 2 Pack
- Quality filters that can last 6-12 months depending on usage
- It is a MERV 11 Filter and capable of filtering the smallest of air particles.
- Easy to install and a great way to keep your HVAC running at peak efficiency
- It fits perfectly and is easy to install.
- There may be inconsistency in measurements.
7. Filtrete Healthy Living Ultra Allergen Reduction Filter, MPR 1500, 16 x 25 x 1-Inches, 2-Pack
- Electrostatically charged to attract and capture microscopic airborne particles including: smoke, cough/sneeze debris, bacteria, viruses, and large particles like lint, dust and pollen.
- It comes with a 1500 Micro particle Performance Rating (MPR)
- Filter lasts up to 3 months.
- Designed with Filtrate brand 3-in-1 technology from 3M to pull in and trap unwanted air particles while letting clean air flow through.
- It has the lowest pressure drop of all the filtrate filters.
- It may be an inch more than stated measurements for some furnace.
- The filters are not individually wrapped and another piece may absorb dust before it is used.
- It is a bit pricey.
8. E-Z Flow Heavy Duty Air Filter, MERV 4, 20 x 25 x 1-Inch, 12-Pack
- It has a MERV 4 rating and as such does not restrict airflow.
- It also has metal mesh grating that is not too restrictive but allows your unit work freely.
- Works well and come with a very reasonably priced.
- It can last up to one month.
- It can’t be used in a highly contagious air because of the low MERV rating
- The product color is different from the pictured blue. It is white.
9. AIRx ALLERGY 20x20x1 MERV 11 Pleated Air Filter – Made in the USA – Box of 6
- It is built with MERV 11 furnace filter premium pleated filter which Traps mold, pet dander, smoke particles, pollen and dust mite debris for allergen protection.
- Comes with actual size 19.5″ x 19.5″ x .75″.
- It has more pleats than most retail air filters and better energy efficiency.
- They are more than 1/4 smaller in all dimensions and will not seal correctly in an air return.
- The filters don’t show any labeling only the size when delivered.
- They sometimes produce a whistling sound when in the furnace.
10. 2 – 20x25x5 Honeywell FC100A1037 Pleated AC Furnace Air Filters. AFB Gold MERV 11.
- It has MERV 11 rating and is great for pet owners and people with allergies.
- It is a premium replacement filter designed to last 6 months.
- Fits perfectly in your unit and does an excellent job of cleaning the air in your home.
- It comes in AFB Silver (Merv 8), AFB Gold (Merv 11), and AFB Platinum (Merv 13).
- It is a bit pricey.
- The color is actually yellow which isn’t as pictured. Not a big deal though.
- It might be an inch smaller than specified.
- It often arrives partly smashed or crushed. Manufacturer should work on better packaging.
MERV Rating In Filter and Airflow
Definition: The MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) rating of a filter describes the size of the holes (pores) in the filter that allows air to pass through. This means that the higher the MERV rating, the higher the number of air particles it captures and vice versa. The rating ranges from 1-16; while a MERV 3 rating cannot fully capture tiny air particles, a MERV 11 or 13 can.
However when choosing a filter based on the MERV rating, be sure to go with the one specified on the furnace, because while a higher MERV rating can be efficient, it can create too much pressure and resistance causing the unit to overwork itself. The solution would be regular replacement of the filter every 2-3 months or less.