The need for warmth and comfort has caused man to device a means of heating his home, one of which is a fireplace. Traditional fireplaces required coal or wood to produce heat and connection to a chimney to serve as ventilation outlets.
But with constant improvements, electrical fireplace was invented. It is an appliance that makes use of electrical energy to generate heat. What’s more? Modern Electrical fireplaces are designed to reflect the old ambience of burning wood and serve a home’s need for decoration, heat, energy conservation and safety.
And because we understand how important warmth and electrical fireplaces are to you, we have done a review of top electrical fireplaces so that you are better informed before making buying decision.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Touchstone 80001 Onyx Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace
PuraFlame 30″ Western Electric Fireplace Insert with Remote Control
Best Choice Large 1500W Adjustable Electric Wall Mount & Free Standing Fireplace Heater with Glass XL
Giantex 35″ Xl Large 1500w Adjustable Electric Wall Mount Fireplace Heater W/remote
Touchstone 80014 Sideline In-Wall Recessed Electric Fireplace, 36 Inch Wide
Dimplex DFI2309 Electric Fireplace Insert
Duraflame DFI020ARU-A004 Electric Fireplace Insert w/ Heater
Tennyson Electric Fireplace w/ Bookcases – Classic Espresso
Altra Furniture Farmington 60″ Media Heritage Light Pine Fireplace
Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove with Remote Control – DFI-5010 (Pistachio)
How do electric fireplace works
Types of fireplaces
Top 10 Best Electric Fireplace Reviews
1. Touchstone 80001 Onyx Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace
The size and styling definitely make this fireplace a fashion forward focal point. It is designed as a wall mounted fireplace producing cozy, realistic flame effects that also has the ability to provide supplemental heat to 400 square feet.
- It has realistic flames that add warmth and décor to your room.
- It has two heat settings and a five-flame brightness that allows you control over the level of heat and brightness in your homes. And a built-in timer for auto-shutoff that can be set for 30 minutes to 7.5 hours.
- It comes with mountable bracket which aids easy installation and weighs around 40 pounds.
- It can be use all-year round since it has a dual-mode feature that allows the fireplace to operate with or without heat.
- One year warranty from manufacturer.
- The heat is not as effective as it could be because the heat output is on the top facing up, so while the ceiling area above the heater gets warm the space in front of the heater not so much.
- It reflects orange flame only so there are no options for other colours for those who desire so.
2. PuraFlame Electric Fireplace Insert with Remote Control
This unit’s realistic flames, logs and ember bed create the feeling of a real fireplace. Its powerful heater can efficiently warms up a small to medium size room. It is also super-quiet. For those looking for a realistic firebox insert with decent heat output and a fair price range, the Puraflame unit is a great choice at a really nice price.
- It has 100% LED technology that saves energy plus a one-year warranty from the manufactures.
- The décor is top notch with resin logs, ember bed and 3 flames with adjustable intensity that can be used with or without heat.
- It has adjustable thermostat and provides heat for 400 sq. ft. of space.
- Has a remote to enable you control and set the unit to requirements.
- It can become a bit noisy because the flame effect is produced by a rotating tube inside.
- The installation directions were very brief and not very clear, and so might pose problem during installation.
3. Best Choice Adjustable Electric Wall Mount Fireplace Heater
You cannot go wrong with this stylish electrical fireplace with amazing features that improves your home décor and feel. It gives you the choice to either mount on the wall or as a stand-alone unit.
- It comes with a remote control for managing the fireplace’s features while lounging. It also has the option of mounting it to a wall or attaching the included base for a freestanding style.
- It is built with beautiful wooden exterior and rolling wheels for easy relocation and movement.
- It gives option to display the cozy flame technology, with or without heat. And it is available in 2 finishes: dark walnut and honey oak.
- When heater is turned on too high, a strong burning smell and a loud, continuous, beeping sound may occur.
- The fan is quite noisy in a quiet room.
- Heat blows up out the top and as such does not circulate well throughout the room.
- The glass sometimes proves difficult to handle or manipulate.
4. Giantex Large Adjustable Electric Wall Mount Fireplace
This wall mounted fireplace will look appealing in any room. It can be used in your home or office; anywhere you might otherwise hang a large picture. There is no venting needed, and no pollution or off gassing fumes from this fireplace heater. It will provide enough supplemental heat to make your room cozy.
- It is one of the cheapest electrical fireplaces in the market with some basic features for your enjoyment.
- It is quite easy to install as it comes with wall-mount bracket for that purpose.
- Its dancing flame effect improves it experience and makes it real.
- It is energy efficient; Frequency: 60Hz;Voltage 110V and Power:750W(Low Heat)/1500W(High Heat)
- Does not put off enough heat because the heat flows up of the unit and seems to have a cheesy flame with just one color.
- It is liable to produce noise as the cylinder that produces the illusion of a flame turns around.
- It does not come with warranty. Buyers would have to purchase insurance separately.
5. Touchstone Sideline In-Wall Recessed Electric Fireplace
Make your home more stylish with this fireplace from touchstone. It has got all the features to make your experience even better. There is no venting needed, and no pollution or off gassing fumes from this fireplace heater.
- This Electric Fireplace Heater features artificial logs with realistic-looking flames and crystals that will jazz up your living room, bedroom, library, or even hallway.
- Its two heat settings allow you adjust the flames to your desired brilliance and set the mood you want to create.
- It serves both decorative and heating function. The flame effect can be used with/without the heat.
- It is safe to use indoors and LED bulbs that provide a calming ambiance, and it is also mercury-free.
- It is easy to install with detailed guidelines.
- The flame pattern is dim even on the highest setting and may not be bright enough for some users.
- It tends to also produce noise while running.
6. Dimplex DFI2309 Electric Fireplace Insert
As a bestseller Dimplex product, this unit can be inserted into an already existing fireplace or can be used as a standalone which is great for under-utilized fireplaces. It is also a straightforward plug and play unit that does not need extra carpentry or framing installation, just buy and enjoy.
- It comes with built-in fan-forced heater that distributes heat evenly and quietly around the room.
- It has various settings such as: full heat, half heat, or flame only for enjoyment all-round the season.
- It is easy to install into existing fireplace opening and plugs into standard household outlet.
- The flame effect is quite real and cozy, looking like a burning log wood.
- The heat comes out the top not the bottom so most of the heat is staying in the fireplace or going up the chimney.
- The cord tends to easily burn; you might need a dedicated line installed to keep from blowing fuses.
- The unit tends to produce noise when fan is running or heater is turned up too high.
7. Duraflame DFI020ARU-A004 Electric Fireplace Insert w/ Heater
This free standing electric log set with heater can warm a room up to 400 square feet. The flame effect can be enjoyed with or without turning on the heat so you can enjoy the ambiance of a rolling fire all year round.
- The design is unique and unconventional from most electrical fireplace design; it comes with pulsating and realistic log set that can be fixed into an already built fireplace.
- It doesn’t require hook ups or wall placement as it can stand on its own.
- It can be used with/without heat to serve both decorative and heating purposes.
- It has energy efficient led technology that helps to conserve electricity.
- It often does not produce as much heat to warm a larger space room and may be used as a supplemental source of heat.
- Its remote easily malfunctions or get damaged.
8. Tennyson Electric Fireplace w/ Bookcases
It is simply a complete package with functionality and class. With features such as bookcase, shelves and mantel, you can improve your home décor to optimum.
- It comes with remote that controls/adjusts thermostat, timer, logs, and flames separately. Plus once it has been powered off, logs and flames slowly turn down.
- The multicolor flames are lifelike-burning logs with embers. The embers pulsates dimmer to brighter for an authentic look.
- The unit is designed to accommodate panel TV, 6 fixed shelves, mantel and bookcase top in a soft traditional style. In simple term, it has storage and functionality.
- The unit is safe. Its self-regulating heater turns off when temperature level is optimal; it has child safety lock and the glass remains cool to the touch
- It has adjustable thermostat and brightness control.
- It is not so easy and straight forward to install because of the added components.
- The colour doesn’t really meet up to the specification of the manufacturers; it is mostly yellow and not white.
- Bookcases may be relatively small so buyers shouldn’t expect a standard size.
9. Altra Furniture Farmington Heritage Light Pine Fireplace
Its unique design and feature makes it an important part of your living room. It is easy to setup, the wood looks great and fireplace works just fine. What’s more the TV panel gives it a complete touch.
- This unit’s TV Console is built to accommodate flat panel TVs up to 60” wide and up to 95lbs
- It also has a fireplace insert that gives the illusion of burning coal and warms up your home without the extra effort of cleaning.
- The unit is very functional and fits in with the rest of the decor in the house. It has a cabinet too.
- The burning flame light can be use with/without the heat.
- Its LED light source has up to 50,000 hours of life and it easily plugs into standard wall outlets.
- It may prove quite difficult to install because of the components, but there are detailed instructions enclosed by the manufacturer.
Duraflame Infrared Fireplace Stove with Remote Control
This three dimensional unit gives a whole new game to realistic fireplace. Its unique design is also top notch making it to easily fit into whatever décor or room design you have in mind. There are other remote control features that ensure a better user experience.
- It provides up to 1,000 square feet of supplemental heat unlike most other electrical fireplaces carters for 400 sq. ft. It is also built with metal instead of the usual wood used by other fireplaces.
- The quartz infrared heater helps to maintain the natural humidity, making for moist and comfortable heat without drying out the room’s air.
- The realistic flame effect is created by 3D technology making for a truly realistic fire experience.
- It comes with five adjustable speed and brightness settings. It works with/without the heat and can be operated manually or with its remote.
- The noise of the fan can get noisy overtime.
- Unit may be quite difficult to assemble because of its bulky components.
- It doesn’t really produce much heat as specified by the manufacturers.
How Do Electric Fireplace Work
Originally, fireplaces are built alongside the building; they are connected with chimney so that the smokes produced by the burning wood finds an escape route out of the house. It was a technology developed during the middle ages to give warmth to the house.
Consequently, they also serve as part of home décor especially in modern terms with the invention of electrical fireplaces. Electrical fireplaces are fireplace inserts that uses electrical energy to power the unit and give warmth to the home; this is created via a simple heating coil paired with a fan, which pushes warmed air into the room.
With electrical fireplaces, the hazards, clean-up and pollution incurred with traditional fireplace is contained. In addition, most are designed to include flame effect and crackling sound that give a perfect illusion of a fireplace.
Types Of Fireplace
- Wood burning fireplaces: These are more traditional forms of fireplace that are mostly connected with chimneys or outlet channels for the smokes. The heat is produced through the burning of wood or coal. These forms of fireplace require regular clean up and attention. Examples are Traditional hearth, wood burning stoves, fireplace inserts and enclosed fireplaces
- Gas burning fireplaces: they produce heat through connected gas pipes and require less construction or reconstruction to install, making them an attractive alternative to traditional wood-burning indoor fireplaces. Examples are direct-vented built-in and ventless built-in fireplaces.
- Ethanol burning fireplaces: They are clean, environmental friendly and odorless require minimal installation requirements. They can easily be fit into existing fireplaces. Examples include: fireplace conversion, wall-mounted and tabletop fireplaces.
- Electrical fireplaces: this makes use of electricity to generate heat instead of coal, wood, ethanol or gas. There are very cost effective and easy to install and are designed to look like the traditional fireplaces with flame effect and crackling sound. You can also turn off the heating function while enjoying the ambiance as well as control the heat level and other functions.