To keep you informed on how importance it is to have a humidifier running in your home or office, this post is going to educate you on humidifier benefits, the types and how to purchase the right humidifier be it a portable humidifier or a unit for a whole house.
Winter period carry in its wake, intense cold, dry choky air and a general feeling of discomfort. It is during this period that your body experiences a high level of dehydration because of the loss of body fluid; and sometimes, this is accompanied with other negative health conditions that include the following:
- Skin problems: If you do not take precaution and preventive measure to counter the dry air in winter periods, your skin can become irritated due to the moisture lost from the evaporation. The hand can also crinkle or shrivel during winter period.
- The dry air may lead to bronchitis, asthma, sinusitis, nosebleeds, dry mouth, cracked lips, sore throat, frisky hair, and muscle cramp.
- Also, static electrical shock is common due to the dry air. This happens when friction is created between two dry surfaces.
- Catching a cold or flu is also rampant this period. It is due to the lack of mucous in the nostrils meant to prevent against bacteria and viruses. But the dry air leaves it dry creating a chance for bacterial and viral attack.
One way to combat all this is to avail yourself of a device called humidifier in other to add humidity to the atmosphere of your homes. A humidifier is a home appliance that adds moisture into the air. They come in different shapes and sizes with different functioning mechanism. The major importance is that they reduce dryness and help relieve or prevent the health condition caused by such.
Benefits of a humidifier
- Humidifiers add moisture into the air thereby reducing friction between objects. This limits the amount of static electric shocks caused when handling doorknobs or electronics, even friction between your clothes.
- Humidifier produces moisture that prevents skin irritation and conditions like eczema and rashes. Eczema can be caused by Environmental actions that cause the skin to be sensitive, like in dry periods. Also, they are caused by weakened skin defense that allow for the evaporation of moisture and easy attack by germs and bacteria.
- Sleeping daily with a humidifier can make you look better and healthier. A normal healthy skin needs 30-40 percent of relativity humidity; some humidifier comes with features that allow you set humidity levels. Your skin is wont to become properly hydrated and you have less creases and dryness to worry about.
- Humidifier also helps to reduce snoring. The moisture lubricates your throat and nasal passages, so you can sleep easy without fear of disrupting your partners sleep.
- Humidifiers are also good for your baby’s sleep and health. Loving parents know that the next best thing they can do for their baby is to have a humidifier in their nursery.
- Humidifier helps to control asthmatic attacks and other allergies like catarrh, cold, flu, etc.
- Humidifier provides moisture that prevents your furniture from drying out and peeling off; helping you to sustain their longevity. It also prevents peeling of the wall paints.
- They also make the home feel warm and comfortable for everyone as less fluid is loss from the body in form of sweat.
Since some of the prominent benefit of a humidifier has been discussed, it is also necessary to examine the types of humidifier available so you can go for that which suits your needs best.
Different types of humidifiers
- Ultrasonic Humidifiers: It humidifies the air mist with the aid of ultrasonic vibration and comes in cool and warm mist options.
- Evaporative humidifier: This humidifier works by circulating moisture by a fan that draws the air in from the room and blows it over or through a moistened wick in water.
- Impeller Humidifiers: They work through spinning disks that run on high speed to produce mist.
- Steam Vaporizers: These humidifiers are powered by electricity; the water gets heated but cools off before it is dispersed into the air as mist. They are less expensive and more portable than the others.
- Filter humidifier: This form of humidifier comes with filter to separate particles form the water before it is dispersed into air
- Filterless humidifier: This type do not come with filters but employ other means to purify the water for dispersion.
- Cool mist humidifier: The three types of cool mist humidifier are evaporative, ultrasonic and Impeller humidifier. The water is not heated up but instead a wick is used to disperse the water vapour. This humidifier is better in homes with kids so they are not burnt.
- Warm mist humidifier: here, the water is heat up inside before it is expelled. Sometimes this type of humidifier comes with special cabinet to add medicines or sent into the air. They are also good for cold rooms but might be accident prone to children.
Different brands of humidifier offer features meant to catch your interest and make a sale, but they are cogent features to look out for when shopping for a humidifier, no matter how sleek, expensive or cheap it comes. They are:
Go for a humidifier that is easy to clean: in this instance, filter humidifier might pose a little problem with cleaning and replacing, but if you can manage with that, then it is advisable to go for alternatives. Nevertheless, all humidifier type requires regular cleaning. Drain, wash, rinse and dry the water tanks every week. They are over-the-counter solutions as recommended by the manufacturer’s that can serve this purpose.
Go for a humidifier that is easy to use and understand. They are long list of humidifier that come with simple designs and set up process. Make sure the water tank can easily fit under your bathroom faucet for refilling, or under a tap.
A humidifier that has aTimer: The timer feature is an added luxury. It enables you to instruct the humidifier to turn on or off at a particular set time, like when you would return from work.
Endeavor to search for humidifiers with user-friendly controls and comprehensible visual displays of settings and humidity level.
Humidistat: the work of a humidistat is to put off the humidifier when a particular humidity level has been reached. Some brand of humidifier comes with this feature. It is important because it saves you from stress of checking when to switch off as well as control the humidity level so that excess mist don’t cause condensation on your windows or at worst, disperses too much mist than required.